Thursday, August 28, 2008

the Good, the Bad and the Ugly: Part III

The Bad.

A warning to those of you who want to try out Chinese food at Emperor's Choice (http://chicago.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.aspareaid=0&restaurantid=11188&neighborhoodid=103&cuisineid=0) - don't go! I was exploring Chinatown in Chicago about a week ago, got hungry and dropped into Emperor's Choice on a lark. It will never be my choice again, except perhaps, if I need to play a nasty joke on someone. I can't remember which exact dishes I tried (my brain is trying to block them out) but I distinctly remember that the chicken was slimy (yuk) and the duck looked extremely unappetizing and tasted so too. And can I just say that paying $50 for two entrees and a soup is simply ridiculous as far as bad Chinese food goes. No, not ridiculous - outrageously ridiculous!

The only redeeming thing about the whole experience was an incident I noticed while tyring not to look at the duck or the chicken. Three very young sailors were having lunch there. They looked no older than 16 - babies. When they were done they asked for the check. The waitress shook her head at them and pointed toward a large table in the back where a family of 6 or 8 were sitting. It turns out that family had paid the sailors' tab. The young men, surprised, went over to speak with the family - to thank them I guess. Now how touching is that?!

No comments: