Monday, September 8, 2008

312 vs. 212

This weekend was a bit of a disappointment as far as food was concerned, but as goes the common saying, where one door closes another opens. B and I decided to go for a long walk. We armed ourselves with the GNR list (http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=20908&p=215187&hilit=gnr+list#p215187), a detailed map of Chicago and the Chicago Zagat (just in case) figuring that when we get hungry, we'll just look up a recommendation nearest to our location and try a new Chicago restaurant. Alas, it was not to be and such foolish plan shall never be attempted again.

Our hunger creeped up on us in the neighborhood of DePaul University (Lincoln Park). We stopped to examine the GNR List and decided on Sweets and Savories (http://www.sweetsandsavorieschicago.com/) as plan A and on Luna Caprese (http://www.lunacaprese.com/) as plan B. Well, as I said, it was not to be. Apparently, places in that neighborhood do not open before 5pm on Saturdays. Both of these restaurants as well as Tsuki, which I reviewed in one of my previous posts and which was plan C, were closed. There were no other GNR or Zagat restaurants in close vicinity nor were we in the mood to search any further. We were in the middle of a world-class city and doomed to starvation! Until.... B, desperate, exhausted and exasperated suggested a pub across the street. To avoid a bloodbath, I complied.

McDunna's (http://mcdunnas.com/) it was. While impatiently waiting for the requisite burger and fries it occurred to me that McDunna's could have been my name if I were Irish. You think of the craziest things when you're hungy! In any case, before we got the food we ordered some beer. Pub = beer: it is a must. First silly me asked for Yuengling (http://www.yuengling.com/) or Brooklyn Lager (http://www.brooklynbrewery.com/beer/). The bartender made fun of me and said they don't have east coast beers in the Midwest. Duh! He suggested a local specialty instead, a 312, made apparently, right in the city of Chicago (http://www.gooseisland.com/AgePage.asp?URLPage=/index.asp). I like to try new things, beer not excluding, and this time I was not disappointed. It was light, refreshing, lemony, crispy. A delightful beer all around. The burger (Shroomer) was not bad either, but the beer was a true find of the day and I can't wait to try the other varieties from the same brewery. So exciting! Beer is the new wine, you know.

So the moral of the story is, don't go bumming around in Chicago hoping to find a good restaurant nearby - plan ahead! I know it takes all the fun out of spontaneous discoveries, but that's just what you have to do in this city. On the other hand, occasionally you may bum your way into a find like 312. Funny it being only one digit away from the 212. Perhaps we're not that different after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean you couldn't find a great thing to eat in a 4-block radius? What a horrible city!

Honestly, you really need to get used to the fact that Chicago is not Manhattan. Each block isn't an ecosystem unto itself. This city is 7x the size of Manhattan and much more spread out.

You're in a different place with it's own quirks and characteristics. Stop comparing it to something it's not and learn to enjoy the good stuff.

HungryinChicago said...

Obviously Chicago is not Manhattan - I don't think anyone could ever mistake one for the other. I mean we couldn't find anything aside from a Subway or a Wendy's in a 20 minute walk radius. I'd say that's pretty lame. And besides, if I were in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx or even in some parts of Staten Island, I would not have encountered that problem. And I'm all for enjoying the delights of this city in all their glory. How do you suggest I do it next time around? Pack provisions in case I find myself 1/2 hour away from the nearest open GNR joint?

Anonymous said...

Consider yourself lucky Sweets and Savories was closed. The food is entirely mediocre & the service among the surliest & most unprofessional I've ever encountered!