Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Avec: Yes! Yes! Yes!

AVEC! Like water to parched lips. Yes! If only all restaurants in Chicago were like this! The food was exhilarating, the vibe was ecstatic, the crowd was entertaining and who minds a 45 minute wait if you get all that in the same place on the same night?!

My excitement is making my thoughts run ahead of my words. But who can blame me - this place felt so right. I only wonder why I did not try it before. In fact, the whole experience was one jumbled happy combination of sensory excitement. The small plates - each intense in its own clique of flavors and each different from the next. The variety - intriguing, but not overwhelming. The waiter recommended an astounding red that seemed to go brilliantly with everything from escargot to chorizo-stuffed dates. I wanted to try each and every dish, but alas, my stomach does have limits. No matter - it gives me an excellent excuse to go back again and again and I recommend you do the same!

Here's the link (http://www.avecrestaurant.com/new/smallplates.php). Look at the menu. Judging by the 6 or so dishes I tried, the rest of them will be as good if not better and the prices are reasonable - so what are you waiting for? Take your friends. Go! Have fun!

No comments: